Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Wordless Wednesday - Bethany Circle

This image is captioned Bethany Circle, Iowa City, 1919, which I can only assume is some kind of religious woman's group. Clara Ross is in the back row, 3rd from the right. Her sister Mary Ross is in the middle row, 2nd from the right. Clara Ross is my Great Grandmother and she would have been about 22 years old in this photo. Mary would have been around 25. This photo was in the collection of my Great Grandmother, Clara Ross-Fowlie.

As a side note, this photo kind of illustrates how lazy I am on scanning some of these photos. I didn't even remove the paperclip from the upper left part of the photo. Also, since the photo is too long to fit my scanner, one poor girl got cut right off in the front row at the right.

Update: This is the same photo that appears in the University of Iowa Hawkeye yearbook, 1920 edition.It is captioned Bethany Circle.
Back Row: Walker, Paul, Varner, Ross, Grace, Henderson
Middle: Sunier, Rohrer, Richards, Kinsor, Johnson, Evans, Ross, Issac
Front: Garris, Kaudelka, Yavorsky, Lake, Ogle, Kinser, Foxworthy, Ritz, Plum
(Sorry to cut Ms. Plum out of my scan)
Ref:
http://digital.lib.uiowa.edu/u?/yearbooks,17477