Monday, January 17, 2011

Anna M. Perry Stotler

This is a photo of Anna M. (Perry) Stotler, wife of John Harrison Stotler. I don't have too many details about her, except born in Ohio March 1865 from the 1900 census on Mt. Carmel, Wabash County, Illinois. John and Anna lived on 6th St while John was a minister there. I don't have anything else on her and I can't find them in the 1910 census. The oral tradition in my family has been that John died in a flood during 1913, probably the Great Flood of Indianapolis in Columbus, Ohio of March 1913. They may have lived in Indianapolis in 1913, but Stotler is a difficult name to search the census for since there are many ways the census taker can misspell it and the people creating the database can misread their writing. Stotler, Stotter, Statler, Statter, Stattler, etc etc. It makes it tricky to search the databases and Indianapolis is too large to check page by page. I'll keep working on it. 

Update: I'm starting to have doubts on the flood story. The source of that story was the April 1913 notification of Mary Ross by a Franklin County Coroner following the disastrous flooding. I now think that the notification was in error and in the confusion following the flood, the wrong Stotlers were notified. The death certificates for John and Katherine Stotler that died during the flood indicate they were much older by 20 years and were born in Germany, not Illinois. Based on this, I think I need to go back to the drawing board on John Harrison Stotler.



As I mentioned the other day, John H. Stotler was the brother of Mary Hay Stotler-Ross. He was my 2nd great grand uncle.