Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Tombstone Tuesday - Margaret Fowlie

Tombstone of Margaret Fowlie
This is the tombstone of Margaret (Cantley) Fowlie, my 3rd great grandmother, located at Parkers Grove Cemetery, Canton Township, Benton County, Iowa. She was married to George Fowlie. Their son Alexander Brown Fowlie was my 2nd great grandfather and his son Frank Brown Fowlie was my great grandfather.

There is a discrepancy in birth years. Notes from my grandmother list her birth date as May 19, 1792 rather than 1785 as indicated on the tombstone. The 1885 Iowa census has her listed as born in 1790 and the 1880 US census lists her as born in 1792. Whatever her birth year was, I think it is still impressive to live at least 94 years, have at least 10 children and travel from rural Scotland to rural Iowa. All this with minimal healthcare and no electricity.

A closeup photo is after the jump.

I was experimenting a bit with the new camera lens, so you might notice the shallow depth of field and blurred background. That's the effect I was trying for, but I'm not sure if it improved the images.
Closeup of Margaret Fowlie's tombstone

Erected in
memory of
Margaret
Fowlie
by her children
Born in
Aberdeenshire
Scotland 1785
Died in
Benton Co Iowa
Mar 5, 1887
Aged 101 Yrs
11Ms 5 Ds? [months and days?]
Rest in Peace