Thursday, June 9, 2011

Book Excerpt: The Early Years of the Les Paul Legacy 1915 - 1963

Les Paul live 3
Les Paul Live @ Iridium Jazz Club in
New York City in October 2008
by Thomas Faivre-Duboz.
I found this book on the internet tonight, interesting but not sure of the connection yet. I didn't realize it until tonight, but Les Paul's birth name was Polsfuss.
Book Excerpt: The Early Years of the Les Paul Legacy 1915 - 1963
.

According to the book excerpt, Les Paul was born, Lester William Polsfuss, June 9, 1915, in Waukesha County, Wisconsin to George and Evelyn Polsfuss. His grandfather was August Polsfuss of Prussia. From his wikipedia biography, in case you're not aware, Les was "an American jazz and country guitarist, songwriter and inventor. He was a pioneer in the development of the solid-body electric guitar which made the sound of rock and roll possible."

My 2nd great grandfather was Gottlieb Polsfuss, son of Christian Poslfuss, both were born in Prussia. Les Paul's family settled in Waukesha County and my ancestors settled in Marquette County, Wisconsin. I'm not sure if there is a connection, but it seems possible that he was a cousin. I'll have to look closer into that part of my mother's side of the family.