Monday, September 6, 2010

Helen Ross

Here's another photo of Helen Ross, probably from the 1920s. Scanned from Clara (Ross) Fowlie's photo album.

One interesting thing I found from the census records is that the Rosses lived near the Whitteds in Lake Creek township, Calhuon county, Iowa. At the time of the 1920 census, Helen Ross was living at home with the most of the Ross family, her parents John and Mary Ross, as well as her siblings Mary, Clara, John (Jr.) and Oliver Ross. Two dwellings away from them was Harold Whitted and his family. Harold's mother had died in 1913. His father Charles and step mother Julia are listed as well as two brothers and two step children.

I thought it was interesting to point out that Helen and Harold were neighbors, at least in 1920. They married in 1939.

The 1930 census poses another question. There is an H. A. Whitted in Lake Creek township. 27 years old with a wife named Emma and a son named Donald. I'll have to check my notes to see if Harold was married before he married Helen. He would have been 27 in 1930 and the middle initial matches. I didn't realize Harold was married once before, so I'll have to double check this.